Monday, August 4, 2008

Simple Over-Voltage Protection For Regulated Power Supply




This little protection circuit can be very useful in protecting your transceiver unit. I was able to design this circuit out from my horrible experience wherein my 30 Amps Zebra power supply unit suddenly went wild exploding my 90 watts Daiwa RF amplifier. Its too late but never the less, this project will help you a lot. The original circuit uses an SCR in conjunction with a fuse but later modified it using a much simplier approach using a 12V relay. Although the author is aware by the delay of closure brought by the relay contacts but actual test showed no problem with the radio transceiver during a simulated over voltage test at the power supply.---73 de hevir

3 comments:

  1. sir ano po yung 1A na naka-connect sa collector side diode din ba at saka ano po rating ng relay 12 volts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yung diode ay 1amp na rectifier diode, protection lang naman ang purpose ng diode na yan.. dun naman sa relay rating.. kung ilan yung ampere rating ng power supply mo dapat yung contact rating ng relay ay mas malaki pa dapat, example, kung meron kang 15 ampere na regulated na power supply at gusto mong lagyan ng overvoltage protect, dapat yung relay contact rating ay greater than 15 amps let say 30 amps.. syempre yung mga malalaking relay rating ay mas malaki din ang physical dimension.. try to email me if you have further questions.. nasa header ng website ko ang aking company account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my good friend there DU land,
    We know that This is important matter for protection apparatus. But It's difficult to see it who execution.especially we need it for SW power supply like a cheap model.I fact I'm using very old Daiwa SW Power supply(SS-301X) that I'm also afraid over voltage.fortunately my PS still good condition.but ,,,
    Any way Thank you very much good idea for us.

    kelly

    ReplyDelete