Saturday, July 6, 2013

Switch Mode Power Supply Unstable Output Cure



I got this switch mode power supply from a friend and my plan was to use this on my 80W linear amp. Things went the other way when I tested this supply with my 80W amp. The output voltage won't stay at 12V and every time i keyed my transceiver, the output voltage swings to 15V and sometimes the worst hitting a peak at 17V which by any moment will surely blow the PA transistor of my amp. It took me a quite a while to figure out what was causing the issue but then it was the stray RF reaching the PWM switching regulator IC was the main culprit. My verification includes bringing a 6W portable hand held transceiver close to the switch mode power supply and pressing the PTT while monitoring the output voltage of the power supply. Every time i pressed the PTT the output voltage jumps to 17V  and the proximity of the rubber ducky antenna is directly proportional to the increased in output voltage of the power supply.







I got the courage to disassemble the switch mode power supply to access the circuit board and found the only chip mounted on the board. It was a AZ7500E pulse width modulator regulator chip that runs this power supply and found some important pins that are responsible for its regulation. I tried to bypass to ground pin1 and pin16 (both were (+) inputs of its built-in error amplifier) using a 0.01uF ceramic capacitor. After the modification I quickly reassembled the power supply and test again for stability and surprisingly works now normally. --- 73 de du1vss

No comments:

Post a Comment